The square in front of the head office of Fondazione Fiera Milano named after IRI

Milan, 11th April 2005 –From this morning, the square that the head office of Fondazione Fiera Milano looks over, in Largo Domodossola 1, has a name: Piazzetta IRI - Institute for Industrial Reconstruction. The white marble plaque, placed on the left hand side of the building, was uncovered by the President  of Fondazione Fiera Milano, Luigi Roth, together with the President of the Province of Milan, Filippo Penati, the City of Milan’s Town Planning Councillor, Gianni Verga, and the President of Enel spa, Piero Gnudi.

The liberty style building, constructed in 1923 and traditionally called the Palazzina degli Orafi, will continue to belong to Fondazione Fiera Milano even when two thirds of the historical Milanese fair district are handed over and redeveloped.

‘With this gesture– explained Luigi Roth ‘we want to remember the role that the institute has carried out for decades in our country, being at the centre of the most strategic economic activity  of the entrepreneurial system, and not only on a national level.’

At the ceremony some of the principal protagonists of IRI’s history took part : Emilio Acerna, President of Edindustria; Biagio Agnes, Knight of the Order of Labour; Leonardo Buonvino, Vice President of Finnat Investment; Vincenzo Cappiello, General Manager of Fintecna S.p.A.; Pietro Ciucci, Managing Director of Stretto di Messina S.p.A.; Giancarlo D'Andrea, General Manager of Fintecna S.p.A.; Vincenzo Dettori, Vice President of Fintecna S.p.A.; Gian Maria Gros-Pietro, President of Autostrade per l’Italia S.p.A.; Franco Nobili, Knight of the Order of Labour; Maurizio Prato, President and  Managing Director of Fintecna S.p.A.; Michele Tedeschi, President of Siemens Italia; Antonio Zurzolo, Knight of the Order of Labour.